5.04.2007

Photojournalist

One important thing I've learned about being a photojournalist is that curiosity is the best equipment for this job. According to Pulitzer Prize photographer, Cheryl Diaz Meyer, “photojournalism is more about curiosity than courage.” Without curiosity, taking photographs would be meaningless, perhaps, would not even be done. Curiosity propels the photographer to look beyond the ordinary and tell stories through images.

In this blog, you'll see the works included in my final portfolio for the Diploma in Photojournalism course I just finished. This program is given by the Ateneo Asian Center for Journalism in cooperation with the World Press Photo. Under the fiery tutelage of renowned photojournalists, I was able to capture many different aspects of society – news, conflict, leisure, culture, livelihood, relationships, color, and lifestyles. I believe that there will always be a story, no matter how seemingly ordinary, worth telling through photographs.

These are the products of my curious eyes.

5 comments:

Pericles Christou said...

Very nice job. You really have something and your pictures vividly show the everyday life.

Congratulations for the scholarship and wish you the best to what you decided to do.

Anonymous said...

congrats, cheryl! good photos you have here. i like the very first photo and the one showing the kid with the candle. i thought the two were the most poignant. keep taking those shots!

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, congratulations for completing the program! I'm so sorry I missed your graduation. Bawi ako.

As always, your photos are wonderful! I couldn't help but imagine you taking them right out there on the streets. I'm so proud of you!!

Tony Ducepec said...

Congratulations, Cheryl! I think you have an eye for photography... and the curious (these are not the events and things we see everyday). I also think you have beautifully captured moments.

Thank you for sharing them.

domingo.digital@gmail.com said...

ang galing! sabi nga ng marami -- we make a living by taking photos, we create life by leaving the photos behind! keep it sharp always! (well, unless you want to capture motion and movements :-)